Re: Head's off, broke a head bolt response

To: <stl@adnc.com>
Subject: Re: Head's off, broke a head bolt response
From: Bamandpeb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:53:35 EDT
Steve:

Using this method for removing steel from aluminum works great. Just be really
careful starting your weld, centering as close as possible. The biggest problem
is getting the broken stud grounded so the wire will weld to it ( it usually
forms an oxidised or rusted barrier between the steel and aluminum). We also
spray WD-40 on the weld while it is still hot. It smokes, but as it cools the
metal, it also wicks into the threaded section, and helps prevent galling on
removal. Good luck.

Dan & Susan

<< An exhaust manifold stud broke of about 1/8" below the surface on my U20
head so I have been following this thread closely.  Is my situation a
candidate for the welding technique suggested by Dan, Susan and Andy or is
the stud too far below the surface?  I'm thinking I may need to bite the
bullet and take it to a machine shop, especially before I make the situation
worse or damage the head.

Arigato,

Steve
San Diego