Re: Overdrive tranny

To: haugchiro@moscow.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive tranny
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:00:07 -0700
There you go Daniel, sounds like another project for the 1600 !!!!!

R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
06/21/01 01:43 PM
Please respond to haugchiro

        To:     jon_wissler@pngc.com
        cc:

jon_wissler@pngc.com wrote:

> Mike,
>
>         But isn't there some driveline modification that needs to take
> place?  Is it really mix and match?
>
> "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
> Sent by: owner-datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> 06/21/01 12:41 PM
> Please respond to "Mike Kerr"
>

>         To:     "Daniel Beatty" <nowroc@pacifier.com>, "Roadsters"
> <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Overdrive tranny
>
> the U20  2000 5 spd will bolt up to a R-16
>
> Mike Kerr
> Roadster Restoration
> PH# 530-644-6777
> Fax # 530-644-7252
> Web page    WWW.innercite.com/~wolfgang

Jon,
If you change to the 5 speed you need the 5 speed drive shaft.
The 4 speed drive shaft will not work with the 5 speed.
It is as simple as that though, well you have to pull the engine
and trany first, change the transmission stuff, with the shifter and
drive shaft.  You will also have to change the mounting bracket
for the tail shaft, the piece on the frame.  Mostly a bolt on procedure.
If you have an earlier car than a 67.5 you need to cut the shifter hole
to open it up further.  The shifter is in a different place on the 5 speed
as compared to the 4 speed.  5 speed shifter is further forward by
3 - 4 inches or so.
Bob
67.5