Re: Dana's new rebuild

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dana's new rebuild
From: dtn <noji-1@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:06:32 -0700
Fred,

Did use non-detergent oil.  The engine has started and will run.  There was a
conversation the other day about freeze plugs.  The person that was helping me
with the rebuild had a bit of the "let sleeping dogs lie" philosophy.  The
freeze
plugs looked go so we didn't change them.  Mistake.  After starting the engine
had a leak beneath the carbs.  At first I was afraid the head or manifold gasket
had a leak.  Ended up that it was the freeze plug.

Pulled the engine again and put in a new set of plugs.  Most were easy except
the
rear plug and behind the flywheel and the rear plug on the drivers side.  The
hole near the freeze plug is very close to a cylinder and doesn't allow for the
plug to rotate for easy removal and the rear plug on the drivers side has a
cupped hole which doesn't allow for rotation.

Hoping to be ready for Shasta,

Dana