Re: water leaking..questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Daniel Neuman
Subject: Re: water leaking..questions
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:25:05 -0700
Daniel,

Here's a pic of the freeze plug holes on the exhaust side:

http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/images/4barel.jpg

Here's the distributor side:

http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/images/1barer.jpg

I installed them by using a large socket a tad smaller than the freeze plug.
Place a light coating of RTV on the outer rim of the plug. Not much, as you
don't want any RTV beads breaking away into the water jackets. Use a light
hammer or mallet to tap on the socket. Make sure the plug is aligned perfectly
with the block; you don't want it to be cockeyed or you'll damage the plug and
will have leaks. Tap away until the plug is flush with the block.

I don't know whether you want to wait until after Shasta, as it will be hot on
the way there. It's a bear to jack/lift up the engine to get the exhaust header
off and to reach the nuts but it's probably doable in a couple hours. I don't
know how hard it is to reach the freeze plugs, as I did mine with the block out
of the car. Anyone else - how hard is it to replace in the car?

Fred - So.SF