Re: Arizona is burning.

To: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Arizona is burning.
From: Guy Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 06:31:16 -0700
Hi Dan,
It would be grossly improper to be critical of those risking their lives
to protect our property and way of life.  I will  not do so.  I am nothing
but completely thankful for all their efforts, sweat and blood.  However,
I do not feel so restrained to take a shot at our State's leadership.
Limp at best.  My old military training screams that this crisis needed
aggressive, take no prisoners ACTION.   No hand wringing bureacratic
bull.  We had many local resources that could have been used to
immediately carve a swath across Arizona.  Our mines have some of the
largest and most intimidating earth moving equipment in the world.  Some
of these mines are no less than 1 to 1.5 hours from the fire site.  Our
local DOT road equiment could have been used to support a massive
aggressive effort. Ditto forestry equipment and our national guard. I
drove up to this area at 7:00 am on Thursday.  I expected to see convoys
of equipment going north.  I drove up to this area unimpeded.  Nothing was
on the road.  Nada, zippo.  Our fearless governor was proper and worked
according to procedure....and Arizona burned.  They let it get ahead of
them.  They had inadequate resources.  They were not prepared to act
immediately and decisively and with 100% AGGRESSIVE commitment. This fire
was not a surprise.  We all expected it to happen.  The conditions were
perfect.  A four year drought. No rain. No snow Massive amounts of tinder
dry fuel.  They missed the target.  The local people and economy will pay
for their actions for many, many years to come.  Hows that for Monday
morning quarterbacking?
Guy
Tempe, AZ