Arizona is burning.

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Arizona is burning.
From: Guy Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 02:56:02 -0700
No roadster content.

Several weeks ago Mike inquired about the fires in the west.  Colorado
was on fire at the time.  Arizona was not.  I replied that the situation
was "spooky".  The entire state was so tinder dry and explosive.  Well,
as most know, the monster has emerged from  the nest and is eating the
world as I know it.  I just returned (about 3 hours ago) from the
ShowLow, Arizona area.  My family has lived in Pinetop, Lakeside since
the early 70's.  Pam's family, my wife, has lived in the area since the
early 50's. Last night, we were ordered to evacuate.  We could only take
thosed things we could fit in my SUV and a small utility trailer we have
used to haul pine needles for about 25 years.  Photographs, momentos,
the business computer, jewelry and a few clothes.  We left all the
rest.  Parked some vehicles in a large pasture.  We hope the fire will
not reach them. Several homes and about 20 acres of pristine forest
property are at risk of becoming ash.  We, my family and most area
residents are all safe and sound.  Money replaces most stuff not
people.  The pristine, breath taking, unbelievably beautiful, white
mountains,  my home, may go up in smoke in the next two days.  Over
300,000 acres have already been burned black.  Last night we went up to
a point where we could view the holocast.  The fire line is over 50
miles long.  When looking at it you must move your head to see the whole
thing (covers about 200 degrees or so).  The smoke plume was over 30,000
feet high and looked like a red cloud from hell.  I was in the area of
Mt St Helens when she blew in 1980.  This is the only thing I can
compare this disaster to.  A thermoneucular bomb...perhaps.  It will
take 300 to 400 years to replace what has burned in 3 days.  The wind is
still blowing.

Guy
Tempe, AZ