Re: Motor Mounts

To: Jessica <windsurfer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:06:55 -0700
Jessica,

You are right about one bolt having a captured nut in the frame mount, and the
other bolt requireing a nut and washer for the other.

The reason that one nut is welded to the frame is that you can't get to it in
any
way imaginable.  It is blocked by the front suspension bits and pieces.  It
appears that you have an interesting problem here if the engine is mounted in
the
car.  Before I actually pulled the engine out of the car I would probably try to
release both motor mounts from the frame, place a wooden pad between your floor
jack and the pan, and jack the engine up as far as possible.  Then remove the
left
motor mount bracket and HOPE you can make the threads turn without much problem.
You might try using penetrating oil, but if someone forced that nut into that
bolt
you will have to use an extractor, and that will require completing the removal
of
the engine.  I would try just about everything I could think of to turn that
bolt
before I pulled the engine.

Tom
69 2000