Re: I'm back!

To: Fred Schroeder <roadster2@texoma.net>
Subject: Re: I'm back!
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:30:17 -0800
A number of years ago my father worked as a salesman for a Lincoln/Mercury
dealership (people bought used cars over the phone on his word - several more
than once) and I often hung around the dealership between college classes.
Sometimes I delivered the cars Dad sold to remote parts of Oregon.

During one such visit to the dealership the mechanics decided to try the water
trick on a 55 Merc engine they planned to tear down and rebuild for the owner.
They were careful in adding water through the carburetor because they were
concerned about cracking the heads.  After the water process was completed the
engine was removed and disassembled.  The interior of the cylinders looked very
clean and shiny as though steam cleaned (which they were) and there was no
carbon
anywhere inside of the cylinders.

It is also my understanding that excessive carbon buildup (low RPM's????) for
some reason could cause ignition after shutting off the engine.  Setting the
idle
too fast can have the same result.

Tom
69 2000