Re: I'm back!

To: "Ian Miller" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I'm back!
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster2@texoma.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:06:40 -0600
Timing has nothing to do with dieseling.  Once the key is turned off you
have no ignition.  Could be the gas or carbon build up.  Carbon deposits
glow red hot and keep igniting the gas just like a glow plug engine.  A
better grade of gas might help.  I've been told that a lean mixture can
cause it although I've never experienced it personally.

I had a 302 Ford do this one time.  A friend told me about a way to clean
it.  Keep the engine speed up and pour ice cold water through the carb.  Do
it as fast as possible and still keep the engine running.  (Could be a trick
with side drafts!)  After pouring a pitcher of water through it, I punched
the throttle a few good times.  You simply wouldn't believe the crap that
came out!  It looked like someone shot off a black powder cannon.
Apparently, the thermal shock of the cold water causes the carbon to loosen
and be expelled through the exhaust.  Whatever the explanation, it took care
of the carbon problem.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000