Re: More Woes!

To: Ian Miller <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: More Woes!
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:08:43 -0600 (CST)
Ian,

What year is your engine? The early (67.5 and earlier) hav ethe timing
mark cast into the front cover. 68 and later use a sheet metal pointer.

I would set the timing back to where it should be because timing generally
doesn't affect dieseling.

Try dropping your idle speed to see if that helps.

What sparkplug are you using?

If your fuel gauge works, power should be getting to the temp gauge. Try
grounding the wire that hooks to the temp sender. If the gauge goes to
hot, the sender is probably bad. If not, there is either a bad connection
between that wire and the gauge, the hot lead to the gauge, or the gauge
itself is defective.

Sounds as if the rear seal was not installed correctly. That seal is a
real bear to get installed so it doesn't leak. Mine drips a bit, but no
way near what yours does.

Yes, the engine has to be pulled to get the crank loose or out to replace
the seal. I don't think there is enough room to slide the trans back
enough to get the clutch out so the crank can be removed.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA