Re: More Woes!

To: "Ian Miller" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Woes!
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster2@texoma.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:34:56 -0600
<snip>The dieseling was still occurring even though I retarded the timing a
bit more (3-4 degrees)

Ignition has nothing to do with dieseling.  Once you turn off the key you
have no ignition.

<snip>I wouldn't mind the dieseling if I was sure it wasn't a sign of a
bigger problem.

Mind it!!  It is pure hell on bearings and such.  The bearing loading is
irregular during this condition and they won't like it at all!!

<snip> THe freshly built motor has a rear main seal leak!!!  Does everyones
leak?

Pretty much.  Not like what you are experiencing however.  It is usually
just an annoying drip.

<snip> I don't think that seal can be replaced without pullinghte motor
right?

I tried it without pulling the engine once. No success.  I've only heard one
person say he had success this way.  Everyone else I talked to/heard from
had to lift the crankshaft.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000