More Woes!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: More Woes!
From: "Ian Miller" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 08:46:35 -0500
Well last night I drove my car home from York to Reading (1.25 hours).  All
and all it ran pretty well.  But when I got home I saw a few problems.  The
dieseling was still occuring even though I retarded the timing a bit more
(3-4 degrees).  The only effect I can see timing having on the dieseling is
it causing the engine to run hotter than it normally would.  I know it isn't
carbon deposits because the motor only has about 500 miles on it and it has
done this since the rebuild.  Maybe I am running too hot of a plug, but they
don't show any signs of melting/fouling.  Now a little background.  The car
is a stroker and for a number of challenges I have been unable to get the
temperature guage to work.  I have no experience tuning my SUs and though I
have followed every FAQ I can find I think I need to have them looked at by
an expert so I may be running lean.  The timing has only been set by ear
since I don't currently have a mark on my timing cover that shows top dead
center.  I wouldn't mind the dieseling if I was sure it wasn't a sign of a
bigger problem.

But Thats not the only problem!!!! THe freshly built motor has a rear main
seal leak!!! ARGH I was a little worried when I saw the rope seal.  Is there
a better alternative to this seal out there?  Does everyones leak?  I't
leaked maybe 1/4 of a quart last night.  I don't think that seal can be
replaced without pullinghte motor right?

Thanks
Ian
66 1600 stroker
67.5 1600 in need of help