Re: Rear Differential Temperature (A bit off topic)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Differential Temperature (A bit off topic)
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:26:26 +0200
It should get hot but not too hot. 150C 300F oil temp
is a critical limit. Some cars have transmission and diff
oil coolers. A limited slip diff generate more heat than
the "open" type differential. Also it uses a certain %
of the engine power (rear axle usually about 5-6%) and
this power loss (friction) heats up the rear axle. Some
small amount of the power loss is caused by the oil
splashing around by the gears which dont heat up the
axle. I can explain it further but I dont know the exact
english terms for it.

Thomas