Re: SB 708

To: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: SB 708
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:36:34 -0700
The subject of State bills that cause problems of one kind or another came up
at the reptile club meeting yesterday.  Oregon and Washington are trying to
outlaw keeping certain kinds of reptiles, which several of our friends keep, in
places other than a zoo, etc.

It turns out that two of the club members are VERY familiar with the
legislative process in matters like California and their smog law changes and
our reptile issues.  It seems once the bill is voted to be heard there is a
very good chance it will pass.

However, modifications, or loopholes can be added to the bill.  This 12,000
mile exemption is a great example.  Amendments like this are the answer to most
car collectors problems.  For reptiles you only need a Federal permit to keep a
cat, dog, gerbil, etc., and you are covered for alligators, cobra's,
rattlesnakes, elephants, lions, whatever.

It sounds like a 12,000 mile limit is:

A) reasonable for most collector and special interest cars.

B) how are they going to check???

And if all else fails you can always disconnect the speedo cable if you enjoy
your car more than they think you should.

Tom
69 2000
Portland