Re: Thoughts on loctite?

To: "Gary Boone" <gboone@sisna.com>, <ambradley@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on loctite?
From: "Pete Koernig" <pkoernig@cableaz.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:11:34 -0700
The Blue  (Number 242) Loctite is a good general purpose thread locking
adhesive....Permatex make a similar medium strength product with an
identical color.  The blue is intended to keep parts together until you are
ready to take them apart again. I just finished rebuilding the Tecumseh
engine on my Toro mower and Tecumseh wants #242 to keep the block assembly
together until you break another connecting rod (every few years). (Painting
a Toro John Deere green makes it look better -- but that's another issue).

The red Loctite  (#271) is intended for 'permanent' assemblies -- I used it
for years on a '64 Triumph Spitfire which normally fell apart about every
2-3,000 miles no matter what.  I'd use the red where I REALLY wanted
something to stay together and there is a lot of vibration -- or the threads
are a little "iffy".  You don't always need heat to take Loctite red
apart -- just use a reasonable amount when assembling the parts.

This email scanned by Norton Antivirus.

Pete Koernig
'70 1600 almost done '69 2000  'lot of work left