RE: alt and alt question-non datsun kinda

To: PLETCH5@aol.com,
Subject: RE: alt and alt question-non datsun kinda
From: Graeme Suckling <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:54:43 +0930
Ken,
IG - is usually a signal (Battery negative)to the alternator to excite
the rotor. Comes from the IGnition switch and should be a fused
Negative feed.
L - is usually the  ALT Lamp or CHG Lamp indicator on the dash board.
If not required, this terminal can probably be left disconnected.
Some alts. rely on the earth behind the ALT/CHG lamp for a signal
though.
If that is your case, just wire in a 12V lamp (in the engine bay
somewhere) and earth the other side of it.
The Starter cable (size = 2G) normally runs straight from the Battery
Negative terminal to the starter terminal, unfused.
Since the starter can draw up to 400A when cranking, there is no point
trying to protect the cable with a fuse/fuseable link.
Just make sure the cable is HUGE to handle that sort of current draw.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide, South Australia.