Was: A couple of funny stories; Now: Hot Fuse

To: Jon and Maggie <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Subject: Was: A couple of funny stories; Now: Hot Fuse
From: "John E. Stromgren" <lutepisk@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:16:45 -0400
Jon wrote:

"Roadsters tend to have problems with their headlight wiring.  Pull the
cover off your fussbox sometime and put your figure on the fuss when the
lights are on.  Tell me, does it get hot?? There are many roadsters out
there with this particular portion of the fuss box melted...."

This is my problem, except with the parking/tail light circuit.  I had
to install a bypass fuse where the box melted.  I've gone through each
of the lights on that circuit to be sure there's a good connection -
I've cleaned the ground attachments to the frame and even disassembled
and cleaned the light switch, and I still seem to get that same
resistance.  It doesn't seem to be drawing many amps, either.

I have another fuse box to put in, but of course I can't install it
until I'm sure the problem is fixed.

So what is the problem?  I haven't gone through all the dash lights yet,
to make sure those connections are clean, but it's hard to imagine them
getting corroded, unless there was some leak under there.

Any suggestions as to where I should look?  What I should clean/replace?
  I hate having hot wiring . . .

-John

John Stromgren
Portsmouth, NH