Re: Was: A couple of funny stories; Now: Hot Fuse

To: Paul <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: Was: A couple of funny stories; Now: Hot Fuse
From: "John E. Stromgren" <lutepisk@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:56:42 -0400
Paul wrote:

"May take more than just a cleaning.  The rivets may have worked loose.
  A good smack with a hammer and punch will tighten everything back up."

So simple.

As you know, I can take relatively simple problems and complicate them
tremendously.  The recipe?  Start with ignorance - that's very
important.  Add a willingness to believe all things I can't see follow
rules that are beyond my comprehension, and top it off with a generous
amount of puzzling over the issue before asking for help.

It makes perfect sense that the location of the resistance would get
hot.  My fuse by-pass is undoubtedly also getting hot because it's just
not as good a connection as a proper clip would be.  So I substitute a
poor-conducting fuse bypass holder for a poor-conducting clip and see no
change.  Okay.

But I still wonder why I'm not getting any resistance showing up on my
ohm meter when I remove the fuse box and test the various input/output
paths.  I've got a digital meter that reads out to the hundredth place,
and it gives reasonable readings of resistance for less-conductive
materials but 00.00 or 00.01 for the fuse box (touching one needle to a
connector tab and the other to the corresponding wire coming out of the
box).  I got a similar response from an analog meter.

Shouldn't I be seeing consistent resistance on the meter for the bad fuse?

-John
New Hampshire