Re: Brake-Master cylinder

To: "Joe Jackson" <rimshot@a-znet.com>
Subject: Re: Brake-Master cylinder
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:34:16 -0700
You wrote:
> I have a rebuild kit but have not been able to unscrew the two steel nuts..
> ..I don't know how much punishment the pot-metal casting will take.

It's not pot metal, it's aluminum. The galvanic reaction between the
dissimilar metals pretty much 'weld' the pieces together. Sometimes
brute force can get them apart.

If the inner bore is at all scored or pitted, you'll not get the unit
to properly seal even with a rebuild kit. If that's the case, you
can get the unit resleeved or buy a new unit. Either option is
way more cheaper than what happens when the rebuild fails and
you lose your brakes :-(.

-- John