RE: To crimp or solder

To: "'Ian Miller'" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: To crimp or solder
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:07:04 +0930
Hi Ian,
after 35.5 years in the Telecommunications industry, take my advice.
AVOID soldering connections in the automotive area.
Especially with stranded wire, the soldering will wick back into the
cable.
While the joint will electrically sound, the cable is highly likely to
fatigue at the junction of the rigid and flexible sections.
If you visit an Electrical Contractor who does large Switchboard work,
they may have the Hydraulic cable crimper you need.
An Auto. Design Engineer once told me to OVER engineer everything when
modifying a car because VIBRATION is a killier!
On that basis any soldering is highly likely to fatigue and fracture
over time.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide, South Australia.