RE: To crimp or solder

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: To crimp or solder
From: thomas walter <roundrocktom@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:05:04 -0700 (PDT)
Excellent advice from Graeme -- avoid solder!

I'm a long time believer in using the proper tools,
crimp, dual wall heat shrink tubing, and avoiding
solder like the plague!

Having said that one of the GM Fuel injection manuals
shows how to repair a wire with a SOLDERED splice. I
used to work with the Engineers up in Kokomo quit
often, and discussing that the fellow comments "Ya,
but who will keep a car longer than 15 years?".

Side note... for anyone in the Austin area, I have the
big heavy Thomas & Betts crimper's. $800 new ($300 off
eBay). More than glad to crimp a connection for you.

One trick.. just a little NOALOX in the end of the
terminal prior to crimping.

Also SOME of the "just battery" type places can make
custom cables, and will have the crimpers.

Cheers,

Tom
P.S.  Up in NY... long meetings... 8am to 11pm
yesterday. Little brain dead today!