Stumbling Problem

To: "Roadsters E-Mail List" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stumbling Problem
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:58:12 -0700
Today while I was driving my 2000 it started missing in 4th and 5th gear on
the freeway.  As I continued to drive the miss became a stumble and started
noticeably effecting lower gears as well.

I figured it might be a fuel problem and stopped at NAPA and installed a new
fuel filter.  The car seemed to run better for a little while, but not long.

Next I stopped for gas because the gauge was below 1/4 tank.  That seemed to
help for a few miles, and then the stumble began to return a little faster
than before.

I got the car home and let it sit for 45 minutes or so.  It had seemed to
run better after sitting before.  Not this time.  I knew before I was out of
the driveway (150') in reverse that it would not run well.  It seems to
start and idle very nicely, but will not deliver power when needed.

I think I know it is not the fuel filter, so that leaves the fuel pump and
crud in the tank.  Maybe the coil? I had the tank steam cleaned last year.
The fuel line is original.  There was a layer of mud in the bottom of the
fuel filter I removed, so that was a good move.  The fuel filter NAPA sold
me is a metal inline, so I can't see inside of it.  I will locate a correct
filter soon.

My question is about the stock fuel pump.  Will it go away slowly like that,
or does it just die.  I don't remember loosing a fuel pump before, so I
don't know what to expect.  Is there a filter screen in the tank that is
getting filled up with crud?

Tom
69 2000 "Mr.. Hyde"
Portland, OR