RE: Father's Day greetings (mostly OT)

To: "'sidney raper'" <spl310@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Father's Day greetings (mostly OT)
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:55:41 +0930
Hi Sid and list,
Happy F.D. to you too.
Here in Oz, us dads have to wait until September for our Dads Day.
As for your brake drum problem, back off the shoe adjuster for the
handbrake (rear) or eccentric adjuster (front).
Unless the shoes are well free from the drum, it will not slide off.
Dose up the centre hub to drum area with a good quality
penetrant/water displacer like WD-40 or CRC-556.
Make sure you have removed any retaining screws that go through the
drum into the hub, my '65 1500 has 2 countersunk screws in each drum.
Squirt CRC into these screw holes as well to assist in the process.
After a good soak, tap the drum adjacent to the centre hub with a
hammer to break the seal.
It is usually the interference fit at the drum centre hole and the
wheel hub that grow together causing grief.
GENTLE levering at the drum circumference against the backing plate
will assist.
Once they part company, wire brush the surfaces to remove crud and
smear anti-sieze compound on the mating surfaces before re-fitting.
Good Luck,Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide, South Australia.