Rope Rear Main Seal

To: "Datsun-Roadsters List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rope Rear Main Seal
From: "Jessica" <windsurfer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:16:51 -0400
I found a local shop ~ 3 miles from my house.  These guys own and work on
Roadsters.  One of the mechanics told me about a device that he uses to pull
the upper rope seal from the rear main seal without removing the engine.  I
had heard about this before but never saw one.  It is explained as being like
Chinese handcuffs.

I just wanted to see if anyone ever attempted to replace their rear main seal
w/o removing the engine.  Mine is leaking but not too badly, yet.  What drives
me nuts is that the oil gets onto the header/exhaust pipe and smolders...burns
my eyes......

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivin