rear axle question(s)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axle question(s)
From: United2311@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:15:53 EDT
Hello all,

I am newer to this, so bear with me if I ask a simple question.

I pulled my passenger side rear axle over the weekend, since I could not tell
if my brakes shoes were contaminated with leaking brake fluid or if on of the
rear seals had begun to leak.

1. When you pull out the rear axle shaft, should there be fluid(oil) in
there?  I had nothing come out, and I could not see any in there.

2.  How much grease should be used to repack the bearing?  I noticed very
little on the old one as compared to what I have experienced in previous front
wheel job repackings.

3.  All of the instruction mention to pay particular attention to the small
metal shims.  My car did not have any?  Is that OK, or did the PO screw
something up?

I do not want to get it all clean with new brakes, cylinders, etc..just to
have it leaking again.  Is there an easy way to tell what all the gunk was in
the brake drum?  I am pretty sure it was only brake fluid

John
Johnnyroadster
SPL311-13956