Re: rear axle question(s)

To: United2311@aol.com
Subject: Re: rear axle question(s)
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:43:35 -0500 (CDT)
John,

There should be no fluid where the bearing sits. There is a seal in the
axle housing that is there to keep the differential oil from washing out
the grease in the bearing.

The bearing should be cleaned and repacked full of grease. I usually put
in a bit of extra grease around the bearing, but not fill up the area with
grease.

I doubt that the differential oil got to the brake shoes if there isn't
any around the bearing. Check the differential level to be sure.

Since you have the axles out I would go ahead and replace the seals in the
tubes, it is cheap insurance.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA