Re: anyone have this titan problem

To: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: anyone have this titan problem
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:00:53 -0600
> - Bob Mann

> In addition to a failure to progressively tighten and cross-tighten,
> what makes you think they use less than "max" on the air gun as a torque
> setting?  ("120 ft lbs covers all the bases, right?  I usually tighten
> 'em to the yield, then back 'em off half a turn.")

At least at Discount Tire they use the color coded torque extensions on
impact guns that will break if the manufactured-in torque is exceeded. This
value is supposedly less than 80. Then they use an adjustable/break over
torque wrench set to 80 to complete the tightening in a criss cross pattern.

I still ask/make them use the torque wrench in three passes after they run
up the lug nuts, gently, with an impact gun. They grumble, but they do it.

Yes, I can be a PITA at times. ;>)

Ron