I think about 150 ft lbs: Pinion Nut Specs.

To: fairlady_67@hotmail.com
Subject: I think about 150 ft lbs: Pinion Nut Specs.
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:45:33 -0500
Chris,
I recently did this job.  The nut has to match a keeper for a cotter pin,
and my torque wrench
only goes to 100 ft lbs.  My method was to torque to near max on the torqe
wrench and verify
that this put the nut "just a scootch" away from the right place to put the
cotter pin through.

I then put my air impact on it, and bumped it up until the pin went thru.
This I believe is
"exactly the rigth torque value".  No leaks or unusual sounds, so I think I
did OK.

An impact wrench greatly faciliatates nut removal, otherwise, its on there
very tight, and even with
someone stomping on the brakes, you will have trouble getting it loose with
a breaker bar.

NAPA had a good seal for about $8, if you can read the numbers off the old
one, they can match it up.

If you have a worn gearset, or any other anomolies, this method could cause
destruction of the
gear set due to miss torque...so I would recommend the "right way" with the
proper torquie wrench, if possible.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia