Re: Volvo Conversion Story

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Volvo Conversion Story
From: "bonos" <bonosall@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:48:55 -0800
I for one did not have too many problems at all. The bolts should be 1.5,
the banjo bolts are the right length, but there are 2 different part numbers
in the article. One is too long and the other is perfect. The caliper does
need to be shimmed, I found 1-2 washers did the trick. I went with stainless
lines as you could get them for only $15 each. Seems like a no-brainer to
me. I was cheap on the calipers and found an excellent pair with new pads in
them at U-Pull it for $5 each. I had 3 brake bleeders break off, but that is
life working on mechanical equipment that is nearly 30 years old (calipers)
and almost 40 years old (66 roadster). The rotor does need to be trimmed
down to just a hair over 11. If you went 11 1/16 you would be just about
perfect. I did not like the idea of grinding down the caliper as that is
what ultimately stops your car, so I took the rotors off again and had them
reground. The socket to tighten down the banjo bolts is too thick. I do not
know if there is a way around this. Use the 12 point and I hammered it on
first, then put the torque wrench on it and tightened after that. Also,
there is one part that I found to be missing if you do the braided lines and
that is the junction block that attaches to the frame rail of the car. It is
only $4-6 and is needed. The old retaining clip still works with it, but you
need to have the junction on both sides to connect your old lines to the 14
inch braided lines.

I have the benefit of having had worked on old classic Volvo's from the
50-90's so I know most of the tricks. I am working on a '59 445 now and know
the 240 (which the calipers came off of) is a bulletproof car. Damn thing
will run forever and stops on a dime for a 2 ton car.

It sounds to me, as if most of the problems that occurred during the
conversion, were self inflicted. Corners were cut, items were not all
purchased and ready at the time of doing the job, estimated time was under
the actual time of doing a brake conversion project. This is a major change.
It will take time and shit happens. That is life of doing any modification.
Just my $.02. Mine went just as planned. Easy, but with a few hiccups. Oh
yah, downing tequila and beer while doing conversion never helps get them
done faster. It may make you feel better about doing it, but the project
will only take longer.