Re: needs for 1600

To: Norm deCarteret <normdec@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: needs for 1600
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:08:42 -0600
Norm,

I don't recall the part number of the pin I ordered from the parts
manual, but what came in from the dealer wasn't what I needed. The pin I
received did not have a head, nor any other means I could see to secure
it. All it was, other than a cylindrical piece of metal was what looked
to be a screwdriver slot in one end. I think the pin I received is
intended to be retained by something outside of itself!

The hole in the end of the shift lever may also be worn. I found that I
could put in some shim washers on each side of the shift rod to take out
as much of the slop as possible. I also have some slop inside the trans,
which shimming the linkage won't take care of, but with the washers
installed the shifter did tighten up quite a bit.
Peace,
Pat