RE: Oil choices for hi mi SRL's

To: "'Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net'"
Subject: RE: Oil choices for hi mi SRL's
From: "Greg Hare" <ghare@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:45:48 -0400
As far as I can tell from reading various articles, any oil from a major
vendor will work fine (your viscosity needs may of course differ) if it
meets the current API standards - currently SJ. The standards have been
upgraded and changed over the years and to meet them you just about can't
buy a lousy oil (no-name oils may be lying about their adherence to the
standards so they might stink). Synthetics do appear to last a bit longer,
but my fear with them is that you might get copmplacent and not check the
oil as often as you should and miss a small leak that has developed. Other
than that it's my opinion that all the big names all come out of the same
supply and are just labeled with the various brands. It was different in the
60's and 70's, as the standards were below what they are today and
exceeeding them was not as hard as it is today.

Your opinion may vary.