5th Gear Neutral problem

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5th Gear Neutral problem
From: <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:32:14 -0400
Wow, just when I thought everything was 100% and all was well and good with the
'70 2000s mechanicals, I started noticing that the car wasn't "feeling"
right... first, the car jumped out of 5th gear twice on the trip home last
Saturday, then it kinda felt like there was a bit of vibration coming from the
tranny, especially in gear,  finally I heard a kind of low whine sound coming
from the tranny today, shortly after which, I had no 5th gear anymore.  1-4
were still working, so I continued on to work... and had a problem shifting
into and out of 1 and 2... now, pulling into work, I found I had a odd rumbly
whine... great...   I *just* had this tranny in the shop when I rebuilt the
engine for new bearings, new syncros and asked them to check the 5th gear, even
giving them info on how to check and repair the 5th gear if needed.   I guess
the old adage "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself"
continues to hold true!

Maybe it's not a good idea to have a daily driver roadster... :(

Eric