RE: 5th Gear Neutral problem

To: efrisbee@charter.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 5th Gear Neutral problem
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:28:21 -0400
This is exactly the problem I had with a newly rebuilt 5 spd about 2 years
ago.  The whine, and then no 5th.  I would stop driving the car right away,
as when I drained the tranny juice some  balls from a ball bearing race came
out also.  From what I understand, rebuilders do not understand the
big nut that holds the 5th gear set together should be extremely well
torqued and preferably pinned or welded as well.  The factory should have
put reverse threads on this nut...but what happens it backs off (allowing
the 5th gear to walk away from its intended spot and start to whine) and
then if falls off and 5th gear walks far enough away to quit working.  At
this pont I think some other things fall off, like that bearing, probably
contributing to hard shifting, etc.

I kept the tranny, figureing all the new synchors and most of the new
bearings were probably good, but for an economical short term fix I threw in
a used 5 spd.  The 2nd gear synchro is notchy, but hey, all 5 gears work!!!!

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virgina
67 pushrod 2L 5spd