Re: 5th Gear Neutral problem

To: <racery@comcast.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5th Gear Neutral problem
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:02:21 -0500
I do believe you are right Toby!     This is a Servo type box (steel
syncros).   It was leaking from both front and rear seals, so I figured I'd
go in and replace bearings and check the syncros while I was at it.   I gave
them the info on how to check for and fix the 5th gear neutral problem as
well... we even talked about putting tons of Locktite and maybe even a spot
weld to help keep it all tight... guess that didn't happen, eh?     If it's
not broke, don't fix it, right?     I find out on Friday whether they will
make this right, but until then, I'm out of my daily driver.

Just a quick update too...  after I got to work, I checked the car a bit
more throughly...  5th gear was neutral alright, but could shift into it.  I
found I had lost reverse completely (couldn't shift into at all) and
shifting into 1st and mostly 2nd gears was considerably tougher.   3rd and
4th were still ok, but seemed to be looser to shift into and out of.
I'll be pulling the engine again in a few days.   This car has about 5000
miles on it since the rebuild too...

Thanks for the thoughts so far!!

Eric