RE: Positve camber is a no-no

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Positve camber is a no-no
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:01:28 -0700
Yes. Positive camber used to be used when roads were typically two-lane and
highly crowned. Now most roads are very flat and banked for water runoff,
rather than crowned, so the camber can be much more neutral.

How much negative camber is always the question. I ran -1.0 on my Sentra
SE-R for street/autocross and liked it. After some skidpad testing I found I
needed more negative camber, so I bumped it to -2.0. The turn-in improved
tremendously and I knocked over a second off my times.

The downside was that I saw a large increase in steering effort (even felt
through the power steering) and I suspect I would have seen increased tire
wear on the inside shoulders had the car stayed around long enough. Thsi was
with 205/50-15's. A wider tire will increase the heaviness of the steering,
so most roadsters probably won't be as affected.

Now I'm running -1.5 on the Maxima (with 245/45-17's) and it seems to be an
excellent compromise. The handling is very impressive for a front-driver of
that size, and the steering still seems reasonably light.

Gordon