differential?

To: "Datsun Roasters" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: differential?
From: <girault@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:06:45 -0500
Well, I just spent a lot of time swapping out my u-joints and that didn't cure
the problem - a loud slapping, clanking noise coming from under the car (1970
SPL 311), but only when I have the drive train under no pressure.  It will
stop when I accelerate, slow down, or mash the clutch.  And since it sounds
like the car is coming apart, I usually mash the clutch as soon as it
clatters.  It doesn't matter what gear it's in. It doesn't do it often - in
fact, it's hard to make it happen, but it just did it three times on my way
back from town.  So that leaves the differential.  Are these symptoms typical
of a differential gear going bad?  Thanks, Girault Jones