RE: OT It's mosquito season again!

To: "'Pat Horne'" <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>,
Subject: RE: OT It's mosquito season again!
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:37:15 -0700
Here's what Consumer Reports had to say about them.

Recommendations. Our tests were conducted in a lab, not outdoors. Still,
they indicate that if traps are continuously operated under the right
circumstances, they can reduce the number of mosquitoes in your yard. Our
top choice, the Mosquito Magnet Liberty, $500, performed well and was easy
to use.

Traps are expensive. After paying hundreds of dollars for the device itself,
you'll pay $20 to $25 a month for electricity and components such as
propane, octenol lures, and sticky paper. And traps are unlikely to prevent
all bites. Therefore, consider low-tech approaches first: Apply repellent,
wear protective clothing, and eliminate mosquito-breeding habitats in and
near your yard.

If I had your situation I would spring for the Mosquito Magnet Liberty.

        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland CA

$
$We  live out in the country and have quite a bit of trouble with flying
$insects at night, so much, that we can't sit outside in the evening
$without getting eaten alive. In town, just 6 miles away there is not
$nearly the problem with mosquitoes. I assume that they are attracted by
$the lights of the house, which is at least 1000'  from the nearest
$light sources.
$
$I've seen the mosquito attraction devices that run on propane and
$produce CO2 and a attraction scent to lure mosquitoes into a vacuum
$device that sucks them up and dehydrates them. Does anyone have any
$experience with this type of device? I'd rather kill them than repel
$them. At least you can kill some of them so they don't create more
$mosquitoes!
$
$Thanks in advance!
$