Re: Ground straps

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ground straps
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:52:44 -0500
> Daniel Neuman

> I don't think you can have too many ground straps.  Why not put a big heavy
> cable to the frame and to the engine?  I suppose if I thought hard enough on
> it I could maybe come up with some situation where maybe having two many
> ground straps in just the wrong configuration would cause a 'ground loop'
> and maybe screw with the radio a bit.

Don't recall ever having a ground loop in a car audio system but I guess
it's theoretically possible. Maybe if you ran the ground side of the
speakers feeds to the body or frame and did the same with the ground lead
from the speakers. There are reasons today's systems don't do that.

Dealt with a lot of A/V systems where the audio ground and the electrical
ground were run together, often tied together inside a piece of gear, not a
good idea, imho. Then again even in pro A/V these days a lot of high end
gear has both unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR or 1/4 TRS) connections,
but usually the audio and power grounds are keep well apart physically and
electrically. In fact I have a rather thick book by a Mr. Giddings on A/V
installation planning and practices that's not much more that a very
extensive treatise on proper grounding. Trust me, it can be a major headache
trying to sort this stuff out.

All this being a rather wordy way of saying that you really can't over do
grounding in a high current situation like a car.

FWIW,
Ron