Intro and rear suspension questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Intro and rear suspension questions
From: Greg Chirpich <sportstergreg@everestkc.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:44:54 -0700
Hi.  My name is Greg.  I have a 1969 2000 with 31,500 miles.  I am the
third owner.  My father-in-law was the second owner.  He bought it long
ago.  The car sat in his garage with a tarp over it for many years
before he decided it would be better sitting in my garage.  Uh, thanks
Dad?  I had the carbs rebuilt, the brakes rebuilt, the hoses and belts
changed, and the fluids replaced.  The gas tank and lines were a major
PITA as the gasoline had turned to varnish.  The fuel pump was also
replaced.  Anyway, she runs reasonably well, but as you might guess she
still needs a bunch of work.  The mechanic was supposed to repack all
the wheel bearings.  As I starting hearing a click-click when from the
left rear when turning, I put her up on stands and pulled the LH axle.
The bearing was obviously not repacked and has some play.  I've caught
it in time, the races are not damaged.  Now I just need to find new
bearings and a new LH brake line (I had to cut it to get it off).
While I am at it, I intend to replace the rear shocks.  I am also
wondering about the springs, but I am tempted to leave them alone for
right now.

I'm no master mechanic but am somewhat capable.  I will also be
browsing the archives a bit so hopefully I am not treading on ground
that bores you all to death.

Any and all suggestions regarding the rear shocks and/or springs are
welcome.  I do need to replace the tires.  I am not sure the rims are
original as I can't figure out how to attach the stock hubcaps.  (Dad
had put wire wheel bow tie hubcaps on it.  The original hubcaps were in
the trunk.  I suppose I should just ask him.)

Thanks in advance.

Greg