Re: trunk body mounted gasket??

To: Sidney raper <spl310@hotmail.com>, slowboy@cox.net
Subject: Re: trunk body mounted gasket??
From: "datsun parts.com" <datsunpartsdotcom@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
            Hey,  Sid.  How are you doing? This is one of the questions Ross at
Sports Imports and I discussed when he sent down a original weatherstrip for
duplication. The cars came over with the weatherstrip on the lid side. It has
been my recommendation to put the, completely different design, 84806-10400 on
the body side. Many of my customers have told me that the newer  weatherstrip
fits better on the body side and allows the lid to close with some adjustment.
Gary Wasserman prefers this weatherstrip and really likes it on the body side.
I have sold hundreds upon hundreds  of this weatherstrip with this
recommendation.
             I originally noticed it fit in the gutter on the body side and
installed on my own car. Worked a lot better. So my decision to make this
recommendation was based on customer daily driver comments as well as award
winning restorer comments. Don't always need a service bulletin...! Thank you
for asking. It's a good question.

Dean

Sidney raper <spl310@hotmail.com> wrote:
I saw the post from Dean about the trunk gasket that is supposed to be
mounted on the trunk body. I would like to see the service bulletin that
suggested that. I believe that Dean is wrong on that statement. I have
seen some raunchy cars that had the gasket mounted on the body rather than
the lid, and to the last one, the trunk lip has rusted off. I believe that
the gaskets were always designed to go on the lid.

Got any evidence to support your statement Dean?

Sidney Raper
1964 1500 (still a project.... sigh....)
1967 SRL311 00076 (alive again!)
Jacksonville Florida
http://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html