Re: trunk body mounted gasket??

To: datsunpartsdotcom@yahoo.com, slowboy@cox.net
Subject: Re: trunk body mounted gasket??
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:53:16 -0400
Hi Dean,

I can see where it would make things easier to put it in that channel, but
based on my experience with rotten cars, I think that you are doing a
disservice suggesting that the strip go on the body.  I have had cars that
had big chunks of the lip rusted away due to moisture being trapped in that
channel.  I have taken cars apart that had the gasket in there, and even
though the entire car was bone dry, in between the gasket and the lip, there
was plenty of moisture to continue to propogate rust.  That is why I asked
about the TSB.

I think that those gaskets belong on the lid.

BTW, the gasket on my 67 is on the body - the guy that did the body work and
paint put it on there.  Kind of a bummer as it will be a PITA to remove
without mucking things up...

Sidney Raper
1964 1500 (still a project.... sigh....)
1967 SRL311 00076 (alive again!)
Jacksonville Florida
http://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html