RE: camber shims

To: garytew@cox.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: camber shims
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:16:42 -0500
Any decent alignment shop will have these.
If your car is set up around zero camber (about stock), then as a VERY ROUGH
rule of thumb a 1/8 shim will give you about 1 deg negative camber. This
does not sound like much, but will be visible, and will markedly increase
steering feel and cornering power, and not hurt tire wear too terribly much.

The alignment shop shims may not look like the nissan parts, but in the big
scheme of things, you just using them as shims, after all.  They should look
sort of like a U shape, to slide over the bolt.

Of course, the other part of this thread that pops up over the years is to
take a close look at the bolts that hold those arms on (that the shims go
between), as they are really small for the job they have to do with modern
sticky tires.  You may want to go with stronger newer bolts, like aircraft
quality, or grade 8, or if you have access to a nuclear/subsafe shipyard
maybe  Dot-K-Dot Monel.

Do NOT use grade two hardware store bolts as replacements.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake,
Virginia