Re: wheels again

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheels again
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:05:32 -0800
Gary Tew Wrote - I'm looking into ordering some wheels (15x6, 4 1/2 bolt
pattern and 3.75" BS or 6mm offset).  Any words of wisdom pros/cons etc?

15X6 +6 is very close. I hear ya though. The lure and allure of maximum
dish is very strong. I have 14X6 +6 and it's OH! SO! CLOSE! It works,
and does not rub, insha Allah, and possibly rolled fenders! We can
surmise, by the number of folks that have used the Nissan 15 X 6
"swastika" style 280ZX turbo rims, that +12 is pretty dam safe. But we
sill hear a few that report some rub-age with these. The Vendors can not
afford to take chances. Les sells rims, 15 X 6 +15 and I can guess that
works on 99.9% of the roadster fitted. But to me, That's a little too
"Tucked in as it were and the dish-y-ness is sacrificed thoroughly. It
is the number 1 reason I replaced the 15 X 6 +15 Revolutions with my
current set of Advans (and of course they were Brit wheels on a Jap car)

If the deepest dish appearance is what you what (It's what I want), you
are taking a chance. An educated chance, but it's still there. If they
do not work, you will have less of a hard time reselling a +6 wheel than
you would a +15 (but of course with an almost 50% "off the lot" price
cut).

You asked for "words of wisdom". I don't know if I've given ya any,
except it's still a crap shoot. You're reducing the tolerances to a
point where any inconsistencies will cause trouble.

Victor Laury
Downtown Los Angeles
70 SRL Roadster
70 PL521