Re: wheels again

To: Victor Laury <vlaury@earthlink.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheels again
From: Gary Tew <garytew@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:37:57 -0700
Victor Laury wrote:

>Gary Tew Wrote - I'm looking into ordering some wheels (15x6, 4 1/2 bolt
>pattern and 3.75" BS or 6mm offset).  Any words of wisdom pros/cons etc?
>
>15X6 +6 is very close. I hear ya though. The lure and allure of maximum dish
>is very strong. I have 14X6 +6 and it's OH! SO! CLOSE! It works, and does not
>rub, insha Allah, and possibly rolled fenders! We can surmise, by the number
>of folks that have used the Nissan 15 X 6 "swastika" style 280ZX turbo rims,
>that +12 is pretty dam safe. But we sill hear a few that report some rub-age
>with these. The Vendors can not afford to take chances. Les sells rims, 15 X 6
>+15 and I can guess that works on 99.9% of the roadster fitted. But to me,
>That's a little too "Tucked in as it were and the dish-y-ness is sacrificed
>thoroughly. It is the number 1 reason I replaced the 15 X 6 +15 Revolutions
>with my current set of Advans (and of course they were Brit wheels on a Jap
>car)
>
>If the deepest dish appearance is what you what (It's what I want), you are
>taking a chance. An educated chance, but it's still there. If they do not
>work, you will have less of a hard time reselling a +6 wheel than you would a
>+15 (but of course with an almost 50% "off the lot" price cut).
>
>You asked for "words of wisdom". I don't know if I've given ya any, except
>it's still a crap shoot. You're reducing the tolerances to a point where any
>inconsistencies will cause trouble.  My Words of automobile lust says - go for
>it baby!
>
>Victor
>Downtown Los Angeles
>70 SRL
>70 521
>71 521
>72 240Z
>http://www.fotki.com/datsunvic/

Victor, thanks alot for the info.  It's just what I was looking for.
There just aren't a lot of wheels/styles out there that I think look
great on a Roadster.  When you talk about your 14x6s being close, will I
run into rubbing problems on the inside or outside of the wheel?  Do I
need to get the wheel as far into the wheel well as possible to keep the
outsides from rubbing or is there some happy medium I'm looking for?

Gary