Re: L series engines

To: jtorres67 <jtorres67@sbcglobal.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: L series engines
From: Dan Zubkoff <zubkoff@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:54:08 -0800 (PST)
Back in the late 80's and early 90's, there was a kit
produced to help swap a L16/L18 motor into the Datsun
Roadster. With the limited availablity of roadster
parts available at the time and lack of an internet
community, it was an 'cheaper' option for keeping the
roadster on the road.

The L16/L18 engines used to be incredibly plentiful.
They were used in the 510 and trucks for many years.
Quite a bulletproof engine. The L Series engine was
also compatible with the z-5 spd which also was very
available as well.

I had a car swaped back in 1993 using a kit I
purchased from Dave Primo. I believe Stan and Dave
designed this kit. Stan may even still carry this kit
nowadays. The kit I had required a small notch on the
front crossmember in order for the oil pump to clear.
The L series engine is quite a bit taller than the
roadster motors.

Well, nowadays it seems that L-Series are consider old
news..Many 510 owner are tossing their L series
engines to swap in SR or KA motors.

I was quite happy with my L Series powered roadster 12
years ago. It had better performance than the R16
which it replaced. However the L Series (l16/l18) in
its stock form is hard to compare to normally aspired
KA/SR motors now available. Plus, with the stock fuel
injection systems available on the new motors, it
really gives an edge over the older carb'd L Series
engines.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA