RE: Throttle body ??

To: "'Gary Tew'" <garytew@cox.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Throttle body ??
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:59:44 +0930
"Pertaining to my VG30 project.  The throttle body has plumbing for coolant
to flow through the bottom portion of it.  Is this necessary to hook up?
Gary Tew"

Hi Gary,
from what I have learnt over the years, the coolant feed to an inlet
manifold/throttle body/ etc. is mainly to prevent the throttle from icing up
during WOT operation.
The vast volumes of air sucked in at WOT causes a chilling effect on the
system and the butterfly(s) can freeze open.
The next time you back off the throttle, guess what, your sphincter muscle
will tell you something is awry!
I'm told that in MILD climates, i.e. not prone to freezing temperatures or
anything near that, the coolant feed is superfluous.
Also, considering the velocity of the air going through the system, the
temperature of same is not likely to be affected by a manifold heater.
So, if the plumbing is getting too hard, try running without it, but fit an
IGNITION KILL switch instead!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310