Differential oil opinions? -SYNTHETIC is my choice, unless it

To: karlepayne@hotmail.com, pjmill@sonic.net,
Subject: Differential oil opinions? -SYNTHETIC is my choice, unless it
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:01:03 -0500
For all:
I tried Red-Line synthetic in my roadster diff, and it started leaking out
around the axle seals.  Maybe I could have kept it in there if I changed the
seals, but it was easier to change back to dynosaur oil.  I think I put a
multi weigh tfossel oil  in there, like 90w 140.  I also tried Red Line MT
90 in the tranny, which made the worn 2nd gear synchro come back to life,
but it started leaking out the front and getting on the clutch...had to
change back to dino oil in the tranny also.  No leaks anywhere with the dino
oil.

On the other hand, I put red line in the diff of my Miata, and Red Line MT
90 in the tranny of the Miata, and picked up about 3-4 percent fuel economy.
  This would indicate a few more of those 133 hp making it to the rear tires
as well....its good stuff.  Also smoother shifing, if its possible to
improve on the Miata shifting....

So, bottom line...Our roadsters were designed back in the day with certain
clearances in the sealls, and I think you should be careful for leaks if you
put in synthetic, but if it dosnt leak out, by all means, it should make
things a little longer lasting, and more efficient.  If you can keep MT 90
in the tranny, it will shift faster and easier also.

Just my two cents!
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia