: headers/exhaus: Stock is fine, but dont forget the little

To: RWM@RWMann.com, boakes@gmail.com
Subject: : headers/exhaus: Stock is fine, but dont forget the little
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:15:20 -0500
For All
Yep, the stock cast iron is only a few HP away from the tube header, and
will last a lot longer if it does not crack.  As far as cracking goes, make
sure the little steel brace from near the bottom of it to the engine is in
place.  If its not there, you can fabricate one out of bar stock....you will
see the bolt holes where it is supposed to go...I guess its about 5 inches
long or so.

Where you can pick up some free HP is in the exhaust system.  Stock was
pretty darn skinny. If you can get a shop to bend you up an 1 7/8 or 2 inch
system you will gain some free HP.  The problem is that that size pipe will
be tight in the frame holes, and to prevent binding as the engine moves
around (and the cracking risk again) you will need a braided flex.   Classic
Datsun Motorsports sells a good one, others probably do also.

My system uses the cast iron manifold, the CDM flex, and then 2 inch pipe.
I have two glasspacks....locally manufactured and called "North Carolina
Moonshine Specials"...they are better than most in that the 2 inch size is
actually 2 inch all the way through, and the litle metal spikes inside are
bent backwards to improve gas flow.   One is in the X of the frame, and the
other one is back near the tailpipe.  Car is loud, but not cop loud, and is
deep and throaty.  The best part is the mufflers are about $20 each.

I can take pictures of the brace or the flex or the mufflers if you need
them for ideas, send me a note seperatly.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia