Re: Differential oil opinions? -SYNTHETIC is my choice, unless

To: Jim InVirginia <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>, ljordan704@aim.com,
Subject: Re: Differential oil opinions? -SYNTHETIC is my choice, unless
From: Jerry Krakauer <jsk977@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:00:17 -0500
The front seal on the 5 sp (at least the early ones) was always a weak point
and tended to leak, even before the days of synthetics. The fix the Sharp
people used(I think it's undocumented and not in any of the performance
books) and that they did for me was to use a seal from a Chevy Turbo Glide 3
speed automatic that fit perfectly. I might still have the part number. Of
course the Turbo Glide itself was not that common, since it was an extra
cost option over the more common 2 speed Power Glide.
Another trick I learned from them was a short term  emergency fix for a
leaking seal. Pull back the rubber boot from the throwout  bearing arm at
the slave cylinder and blow in some talcum powder. The powder soaks up the
oil and just sits on the bottom of the bell housing keeping the clutch dry
until you get  chance to pull the engine and fix the seal.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099