Re: [Roadsters] Bent window frame

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "ME-Work"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Bent window frame
From: "Fergus OFarrell" <fergus06@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:47:18 -0800
Replying to:
____________
Subject: [Roadsters] Bent window frame
Just after removing the pins (straps removed) my friend decides to let go of
the body and it swings towards the floor and passes through at least 110
degrees rotation, slamming the top edge of the windshield frame into the
cement floor.
The frame looks to be cocked 1.5 inches towards the passenger side. Has anyone
had to
deal with this situation (structural problem not my friend) or am I the
only idiot out here?
Steve Harvey
__________

Steve, don't ask why, but I have been thinking about this one, and haven't
seen any replies, so here's my convoluted thoughts on this, all worth less
than .02 USD.

First of all:  "...am I the only idiot out here?"

Answer: You don't have a corner on the market on that one.  Take a number!

Second:
Wow, bummer.
If you try to re-align that frame, you might get it there, but it might be
severly weakened, and so many complex angles to line up with wing windows and
such that it could turn into a nightmare.  One weighty friend helping himself
out of the car (when, of course, the door is open) could ruin everything.

Couple of options (and I am sure there are more).
1. cut a window frame out of a rust-bucket
2. cut the whole window frame out as well as a good portion of the dash
support (leaving what you removed as more structurally stable and easier to
line up).  A good opportunity to swap over to a flat dash, if you are so
inclined.
3. Warning: Way Outta the Box.  Cut it off about 6" up from the base, (or cut
it all off) weld the tops of the doors shut and go topless from now on.  Have
someone fab you a wrap-around piece of plexi.  I think front windshields are
recommended in Lexan, (might be required) for shatter protection.
(like Jeff Torres roadster, or Ron Carter's racecar, got any pics Alvin?)
Note: Lexan is a B@#$H to heat form)

Note: I stopped by Pep Boys for oil change supplies and saw a BMW Z3 done this
way, this was a first and I have found no info on it on the Net. The side
'windows' were only 5-6" tall at the front and ended half way back along the
door.  Insurance company nightmare, wonder at what speed the bugs-in-the-teeth
action stops.  (cause I know the line is >40mph to drive a roadster in the
pouring rain and stay dry!)

Fergus O